Welcome to our Governors’ section.
Please find below details of how our Governing body is structured, including the names and categories for each Governor.
The Moorland Federation
In September 2017 the First Schools of Cutcombe, Timberscombe, Dunster, Exford and Porlock joined together to form the Moorland Federation. The Moorland Federation is made up of 5 schools who share one governing body. The five schools are all located within Exmoor and are a like minded group who put their pupils, the children, at the heart of all the decision making.
Timberscombe First School shares a Head teacher with Dunster First School, Mrs Naomi Philp.
Our Chair of Governors is: Helen Jenkinson and our Clerk to the governors is: Richard Rosslyn.
Growing together; learning for life.
The Federation was formed to ensure the high quality of education in each of the First Schools is sustained through an exciting and forward thinking group of governors and Head teachers working with dedicated and highly trained staff. We are a group of rural schools who are innovative and forward thinking in our approach to school development, proud of our local heritage and stunning landscape, who are all dedicated to improving the life chances of every child. The Head teachers, and all staff, work highly cohesively, sharing good practice and workload to deliver the very best quality of education to our amazing pupils.
Our Moorland Federation Governors are:
|Ann Gibbs||Ex Officio|
|Dan Stone||Parent Governor|
Related to member
of staff at Exford
and at Cutcombe
Previous Governors (last twelve months)
|Pete Mountstephen||26.02.18||10.06.21||Sub Ex Officio - Vice Chair|
|Andrew Pearce||25.08.20||28.05.21||Sub Ex Officio|
|Chris Richards||04.09.17||08.04.21||Sub Ex Officio - Chair|
Further information regarding the governing body, plus minutes of meetings can be found on the hosting website of Exford School. Please click on the link below to access this.
Moorland Federation Governors' News
THE ROLE OF OUR GOVERNORS
The Headteacher is responsible for the day to day running of the schools. The Governing Body works with the Headteacher and is responsible for:
- setting aims for the school
- agreeing policies, plans and targets for improvement to match those aims
- monitoring and evaluating the impact of the policies
- accounting to parents and others for the work of the governing body and the school
SUPPORTING AND CHALLENGING:
- supporting the headteacher and staff in the work they are doing in the school
- offering advice and acting as a sounding board for ideas
- asking relevant questions to seek information and commenting on proposals
- monitoring the impact of policies and plans
- planning improvements and evaluating the impact of those efforts
- holding the headteacher and staff to account for the performance of the school
- accounting to parents and others for the work of the governing body
- setting the terms of reference for individuals and committees to whom the governing body delegates responsibility